The Piper Writing Center, ASU: Revise Your Story In 3 Steps (Workshop)
Revise Your Story in 3 Steps
You’ve completed the first draft of your short story or novel. Now what? Join Suyi Davies Okungbowa as he leads a workshop on actionable best practices to revise your draft and polish it into the best story it can be. You’ll learn the concept of revision as re-seeing (and how it differs from editing), how to identify what needs to be revised, how to create a revision roadmap by envisioning your ideal story, and actionable ways to execute that roadmap.
Day 1: The What, or What is wrong with my story?
- The concept of revision as “re-seeing”
- Identifying what needs to be revised
Day 2: The Why, or Why do I need to fix this and not that?
- Documenting your Ideal Story, and the concept of “story engines”
- Developing a Revision Action Plan (RAP) using the PSA model: Problem / Solution / Action
Day 3: The How, or How do I deal with all this information?
- Putting your RAP into action
- What happens next after revision?