David Mogo, Godhunter brings Nigerian godpunk and Yoruba mythology in this powerful and atmospheric urban African fantasy set in Lagos.
★ Shortlisted for the 2020 Nommo Ilube Award for Best Speculative Novel by an African
★ Nominated for the 2020 British Science Fiction Association Award for Best Novel
The gods have fallen to earth in their thousands, and chaos reigns. Though broken and leaderless, the city endures.
David Mogo, demigod and godhunter, has one task: capture two of the most powerful gods in the city and deliver them to the wizard gangster Lukmon Ajala.
No problem, right?
Since the Orisha War that rained thousands of deities down on the streets of Lagos, David Mogo, demigod, scours Eko’s dank underbelly for a living wage as a freelance Godhunter. Despite pulling his biggest feat yet by capturing a high god for a renowned Eko wizard, David knows his job’s bad luck. He’s proved right when the wizard conjures a legion of Taboos—feral godling-child hybrids—to seize Lagos for himself. To fix his mistake and keep Lagos standing, David teams up with his foster wizard, the high god’s twin sister and a speech-impaired Muslim teenage girl to defeat the wizard.
This urban fantasy godpunk novel from Nigeria continues a growing tradition in bringing the choicest bits of African fantasy to life.
Praise for David Mogo, Godhunter
“A number of books have been termed ‘godpunk,’ but Suyi Davies Okungbowa’s novel may be the subgenre’s platonic deific ideal, from its title to its plot to its terse but vivid prose… Assured and arch, unsettling and thoroughly enjoyable–an auspicious debut from one of the most promising new voices in the growing coterie of African Sci-Fi/Fantasy writers.”~ WIRED
“In this riveting debut, Okungbowa reminds readers that home and family are not always about blood. This story is captivating, and readers… will find it delightful.”~ Publisher’s Weekly
“…A fantastic world that’s a welcome break from the usual European-style sword and sorcery epics.”~ Literary Hub
“Vivid, visceral and with a strength of the voice that just pulls me right in. The god-littered world of David Mogo’s Lagos just won’t let go.”~ Jeannette Ng, author of Under the Pendulum Sun.
“A fantastic adventure of gods and mortals—highly recommended.”~ Tasha Suri, author of Empire of Sand
“A Nigerian Harry Dresden. Okungbowa’s voice is great, and makes Lagos feel familiar.”~ Jacey Bedford, author of Winterwood
“It’s a fun fresh ride brimful of adventure, showcasing great new talent. Wholeheartedly recommend if you love Zen Cho, Tade Thompson or Nnedi Okorafor.”~ Liz de Jager, author of the Blackhart Legacy trilogy
“An adventure of literally cosmic proportions…David Mogo, Godhunter is a fun, fast adventure and an easy way for American readers to expand their reading of African spec fic.”~ BlackNerdProblems
- Publisher: Abaddon (Rebellion UK/US) July 2019
- 360 pages | ISBN13: 9781781086490
- Acquisition announcement (November 2018) and press release (July 2019)
- For publicity & distribution inquiries, see contact page
Press and Interviews for David Mogo, Godhunter
- Tor.com: 4 Takeaways from Debut Author Suyi Davies Okungbowa’s Reddit AMA (August 2019)
- Paperback Paris: 17 New Fantasy and Science Fiction Books to Travel With in Summer 2019 (July 2019)
- Interview with The Qwillery (July 2019)
- B&N Sci-fi and Fantasy Blog: This Week’s New Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books: Magical Spies, Godhunters, and Ash-Kicking Dragonfighters (July 2019)
- Kirkus: These are the SF/F/H Novels, Short Stories, and Sequels to Look for in July (July 2019)
- BookMarks (by LitHub): 5 Sci-Fi and Fantasy Beach Reads (July 2019)
- B&N Sci-fi and Fantasy Blog: The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books of July 2019 (July 2019)
- The Verge: 12 new science fiction and fantasy books to check out this July (July 2019)
- Tor.com: Barnes & Noble Bookseller’s Picks for July (July 2019)
- Carabas: July 2019 Book Highlights (July 2019)
- Culturess (@ Fansided): 12 new SFF books to put on your summer reading list this July (June 2019)
- SyFyWire: 13 Sci-Fi and Fantasy Novels You Shouldn’t Miss in July (June 2019)
- Tor.com: All The New Fantasy Books Coming in July! (June 2019)
- SFX Magazine: New Author Interview (June 2019, Print)
- BookBub:The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy Books of the Summer (June 2019)
- Interview with Pat’s Fantasy Hotlist (June 2019)
- Interview with Civilian Reader (May 2019)
- WIRED: 14 Must-Read Books of Summer (May 2019)
- Interview with the Imaginaries Podcast(May 2019)
- BellaNaija: 10 Books by African Authors We’re Definitely Reading in 2019 (April 2019)
- Publisher’s Weekly: Review: David Mogo, Godhunter (April 2019)
- NerdMuch?: Best New Upcoming Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books of 2019 (March 2019)
- Bookmag: 2019 Releases You Don’t Want To Miss (January 2019)
- B&N Sci-Fi and Fantasy Blog: 105 Books Sci-Fi & Fantasy Editors Can’t Wait for You to Read in 2019 (January 2019)
- B&N Sci-FI and Fantasy Blog:Say Hello to 25 Science Fiction and Fantasy Debuts That Will Transform Your 2019 (January 2019)
- SFX Magazine: Ultimate 2019 Book Preview (December 2018, Print)